Is Weed Legal In New York?
Yes and no! Recreational cannabis use isn't legal in New York. However, since the Compassionate Car Act of 2014, the use of medical weed is legal. The program allows patients who have a medical cannabis card to use medical marijuana to treat their condition.
Penalties For Marijuana Possession In New York
|Penalties for Possession||
Up to 1 ounce (possession in the second degree) - civil violation that incurs fines of no more than 50 dollars but no jail time
1 to 2 ounces (possession in the first degree) - Civil violation punishable by not more than 200 dollars.
2 to 8 ounces - up to one year in jail and/or $1,000 fine
8 to 16 ounces - 1-4 years in prison and/or up to $5,000 fine (mandatory prison time for second offenses)
16 ounces to 10 pounds - 1-7 years in prison and/or up to $5,000 fine (mandatory prison time for second offenses)
10 pounds or more - 1-15 years in prison and/or up to $5,000 fine (mandatory prison time for second offenses)
|Penalties for Sale||
Up to two ounces without payment - up to three months in jail and/or up to $500 fine
Cultivating or selling up to 24 grams - up to 1 year in jail and/or up to $1,000 fine
25 grams to four ounces - 1-4 years in prison and/or up to $5,000 fine
4 to 16 ounces - 1-7 years in prison and/or up to $5,000 fine
16 ounces or more - 1-15 years in prison and/or up to $5,000 fine
Selling any amount to a minor - 1-7 years in jail and/or up to $5,000 fine
|Expungement||According to Bill S6579, People who have
been previously convicted of possessing small amounts of cannabis can expunge their records.
How To Get a Medical Medical Marijuana (Weed) Card In New York?
1) Proof of New York Residency: You need to be able to demonstrate that you live in New York in order to participate in the program.
- Have New York State Driver’s License or New York State Non-Driver ID Card.
- Copy of a government-issued ID card that contains your name and New York State address.
- Copy of a utility bill or other document showing your residency
issued within the previous two months. The document must contain your
name and address.
- Copy of a current lease or similar document showing your residency within New York State.
- Other documentation as approved by DOH containing sufficient information to show proof of residency in New York State.
2) Eligibility: You need to have one of the following qualifying medical conditions.
- Chronic Pain
- HIV / AIDS
- Multiple Scelrosis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Huntington’s Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Spinal Cord Injury with Spasticity
- Any condition for which an opioid could be prescribed
The associated or complicating conditions include:
- Cachexia/Wasting Syndrome
- Severe or Persistent Muscle Spasms
- Opioid Use Disorder
- Severe or Chronic pain
- Severe Nausea
- Additional qualifying conditions are being considered and added to the program on an ongoing basis.
3) Patient Certification
You also need to obtain a certification from you primary care physician that proves you suffer from one of the conditions listed above. The doctor or nurse must be licensed in New York and registered with the medical marijuana program.
4) Complete Application
Apply online at NY.gov and click on Health Applications and then select Medical Marijuana Data Management System.
5) Where to Buy Weed
- Caregiver: A trusted individual you select who is permitted to make a purchase at a dispensary on your behalf.
- Dispensary: Vist a local cannabis dispensary.
Top Dispensaries In New York City
- Columbia Care Brooklyn Dispensary: 44 Court St, Brooklyn, NY 1120. https://col-care.com/location/brooklyn/
- The Botanist: 138-72 Queens Blvd, Jamaica, NY 11435. https://shopbotanist.com
- Etain Health: 242 East 58th Street, New York, NY 10022 https://etainhealth.com
- Columbia Care Manhattan Dispensary: 212 East 14th Street https://col-care.com/location/manhattan
- Verilife Medical Marijuana Dispensary: 405 Hunts Point, Bronx, NY 10474 https://verilife.com/ny/location/bronx
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us: email@example.com